How to Make Your Own Cleaning Products
Spring cleaning is upon us but the good news is that the stuff you need to spruce your house up is mostly in your house already. Everyday household items like vinegar, lemons, soft drinks, baking soda and salt can be combined to yield powerful cleaning products that don’t trigger allergies, asthma or other negative health reactions like store-bought cleaners do. Here’s a few simple ideas about how to make your own cleaning products from a few simple ingredients that are healthier, safer and less intrusive than store-bought cleaning products. Let’s check out a few of the most useful things you can make to scrub the place up.
1. All-Purpose Cleaner
- One half-cup of white vinegar
- Two tablespoons of baking soda
- 10 drops or so of lemon essential oil (drop by your local natural foods supplier for this ingredient).
Combine the vinegar and the essential oils in a spray bottle — your natural food stores may suggest an alternative, and that’s okay — and then add baking soda and water to fill the container. This is a great natural cleaner that you can use for about anything.
2. Lemon. (Yep, that’s it. Just a lemon.)
3. The Non-Organic but Wildly Effective Bathroom Cleaner
- A teaspoon of Borax: while this is generally a commercial product, it’s technically a naturally occurring compound that also includes a mineral and a dash of boric acid.
- A teaspoon of washing soda: another commercial product from makers like Arm & Hammer that’s basically cooked baking soda.
- One teaspoon of Castile Soap: this is oil-based cleaning soap, which is biodegradable and nontoxic.
- A half-cup of white vinegar: vinegar!
- Two cups of hot water.
- Some essential oil: your choice of tea tree, grapefruit, lemon, eucalyptus, etc.
- A medium-sized spray bottle.
This is a bit complicated, but you’ll basically want to add everything but the water and the essential oil and allow it to mix and then slowly add the water and essential oil, and allow it to cool. Pour it in the spray bottle, and you’re set to go.